maandag 3 februari 2020

Queen - White Queen (A Night At The Odeon - Hammersmith 1975)


I have been a fan of Queen since 1974, so 49 years. If someone asked me, what do you think is the most beautiful song ever made by Queen? I would answer, White Queen (As It Began) in the live performance from 1975. Why you might wonder? The song was written by guitarist Brain May in 1968, so even before Queen existed. Brian May then played with drummer Roger Taylor and singer Tim Staffell in the band Smile. 

White Queen was never recorded by Smile but was saved and ended up in 1974 on Queen's second album, Queen II. It fitted perfectly on that album, partly because Freddie Mercury had written the song March of the Black Queen. Queen II was the first album I ever bought from Queen. I was a child and had no idea who or what Queen was but the album cover attracted me so much. When I played the LP for the first time I was immediately sold and was therefore also a Queen fan. 

But back to the why? White Queen is a song that touches you very deeply, deep in your soul. Roger's drums, John's bass guitar, Freddie's piano and voice and the almost dolphin or whale-like sound of Brian's guitar go through marrow and bone and touch every cell in your body. It is like magic how this song can penetrate you so deeply. Every time I play this song, tears run down my cheeks. If you look at the lyrics then it is quite a sad song but somehow this song lifts me spiritual to an unprecedented height.

Peter68 © ® 03-02-2020